Saturday, February 10, 2007

Beauteous day in the land of ice and snow.......

The boy and I spend the afternoon skating at the neighbour's ice rink...BRR...
Typical Canadian weekend activity of course....

I really have to sign him up for hockey next year - been putting that off (for a bizillion reasons) but I think the time has come that I have to put aside my reservations and give into my cultural duty as a canuck...

I remember my father making a rink in our backyard and me skating around til dark... pretending I was the next Dorothy Hamill...and I would have been too if it wasn't for the introduction of boys... and volleyball.... which steered me from my ice skating destiny...really...uh hun....

I even had all my routines choreographed out as well as music selected -
Elton John's Funeral For a Friend, or Chariots of Fire, or Neil Diamond's Hello Again - Yes, this was the early '80's people....

Anyhow here are some pics from today's....who knows you may be witnessing the first photos of the next Wayne Gretzky (god, I hope not)


3 comments:

Twyla said...

You know, this is the most embarrassing thing to admit...but I can NOT skate. I live in the land of ice and snow too, and I can't stand up on ice for the life of me.
It's not for lack of trying...maybe I'm just too awkward. LOL My 5 year old keeps asking me when I'm going to teach her how to skate...I feel so bad that I can't. Maybe we can learn together.

Lori said...

Wow....that ice and snow just seems SO foreign to me! We've had one snowfall this year (about 3 inches), and then 2 hours later it started to rain. I had to RUSH the boys outside so we could throw mushy snowballs and claim we enjoyed the winter "blast" as they call it here in the deep south! :)

I can understand your reservations about hockey, but he sure looks like a natural! I'm signing Colin up for t-ball today. We'll just have to see how that goes.

maybetomorrow said...

Twyla - learning together with your child would be a hoot..go for it...it's never too late to try something new right?...

Lori - I can't imagine not dealing with the snow and cold and it being winter - as much as I am over the snow (and we just got more today) it just wouldn't seem like winter to me....(now a couple of weeks in the sunny south would definatley NOT be a problem though)

I'll be signing the boy up for baseball here next week too (won't start until June though) - he actually will be doing "rookie ball" this year because he is too old for the T-ball now...